Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sushi Tei すし亭 (寿司亭)

Sushi Tei すし亭 Logo
Sushi Tei (すし亭), the name so synonymous with the ideology of the Best Quality Sushi in town.  Sure it was definitely more expensive that other common sushi restaurants in Singapore, but since it came well recommended by my best pal, Wubing , I decided to give it one try while at Raffles City Shopping Center.  Upon arriving, was informed there is a 30 min minimal queue, and was asked to leave my number for them to call me when a table opens up; nonetheless, the availability opens up pretty quick within 10 min.  Not bad at all.
Appetizer Dish - Deep Fried 'Sotong' Tempura ($5.50)  (Score: 5 / 5)
 Comes highly recommended by Wubing, the dish that is supposedly to make you 'fly up to the nine heavens' (飞上九重天), the squid tempura was ordered first and after trying it out... I must say, I'm definitely convinced, resisted the "flying effect", haha..  What makes this dish so wonderful was the good quality tempura batter, not too oily and crispy and the sotong was tender without being too chewy or mushy.
Grilled Scallops with Mayonnaise ($12/-) (Score: 3.5 / 5)
 Next up, is the Grilled Scallops with Mayonnaise in the picture above; presentation wise - it is not too bad as seen in the picture.  The taste however was abit too fishy for me, maybe not enough lemon juice.  It would have been about 4 out of 5, but the price for this dish is a bit too high and thus knock out another 0.5 score, totaling only 3.5  out of 5.
Assorted Sushi Platter ($18/-) (Score: 4.5 / 5)
Well, nothing much to rave about this Assorted Sushi Platter and my favorite sushi from this platter would be the top row sushi, covered with fish roe.  Nice and Tasty, it sure leaves me smacking my lips over and over again savoring the sweet taste lingering on in my mouth (齿甲留香,回味无穷).  Almost a full 5, but some of the sushi like the bean-curd skin sushi, just plain rice and the skin, that's definitely a disappointment; resulting in a 0.5 point knock off.  Price wise, I guess S$18 bucks for a smacking good assortment of sushi wasn't that unreasonable. =P
Dai Dai Roll with Salmon & Mango ($12/-) (Score: 4 / 5)
 Last dish to go is this Dai Dai Roll with Salmon & Mango at the price of S$12/-.  The presentation of the dish is very aesthetically pleasing and it didn't disappoint my taste expectation as well except for this greenish sauce (Wasabi base) that was drizzled over the roll.  The salmon definitely tasted fresh, the mango just the right ripeness.  I guess the Wasabi base sauce just didn't go down well with me as it seems to sting the sides of my tongue, which is kinda uncomfortable.  (Of well, maybe its only me as the common quote goes:"One Man's Food is Another's Poison." =P).  Anyway, overall I still give this dish a good 4 out of 5, so it is definitely worth a try!

Finally, washing down the meal with unlimited servings of chilled green tea just makes it all seemed so right!  However, the ambiance wasn't really too conducive for a romantic time but more suitable for gathering of friends as the seating arrangements are too close together.

My Overall Grading:
Ambiance = 3 out of 5. (As stated above)
Food = 4.5  out of  5. (As graded above)
Service = 4 out of 5. (Prompt service, but lack of warmth.)
Cost $ = 3.75 out of 5. (Well, two person at a gross of $50, it a bit on the high end!)
Return To Visit (RTV) = YES! (No doubt about it! Need to try out the other items!)

No comments: